Reading time: 3 minutes
Being African, specifically Nigerian, I would say that it is stereotypical for us to love spice.
Wherever I state “spice”, I don’t mean seasonings and spices. I am referring to having a meal with considerable amount of chilli/pepper that you can taste. Due to this, I will always switch up a recipe to suit my chilli loving taste bud.
As usual, I’ve switched up the traditional mac and cheese recipe to include enough spice and seasonings. As well as make it really cheesy. If you have a taste bud for spicy food then here is my “Easy Spicy Mac and Cheese” recipe for you.
What you will need
- 1 1/2 cup macaroni or pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup of red cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cup of mature cheddar cheese
- Paprika (to taste)
- Cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Seasoning cubes (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Cooking pan (small)
- Cooking pan (large)
- Cooking spoon
- Baking dish
- Preheat the oven (about 180 degrees).
- Cook the macaroni or pasta in a saucepan of boiling water. Add salt and allow till soft. Drain and set aside.
- In a large heated pan, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir to form a roux.
- Add milk and cream. stir consistently till smooth.
- Lower the heat, and add cheese, keep stirring until all the cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Add seasoning cubes, paprika and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Add macaroni/pasta in the cheesy sauce and mix well.
- Transfer to a baking dish.
- Sprinkle some cayenne pepper, herbs and cheese on top.
- Put in the oven and allow to cook till surface is golden.
I hope you enjoy trying out this recipe. Have a wonderful week ahead.